SLAS2017: For First Time Attendees
SLAS looks forward to welcoming first-time attendees to SLAS2017, taking place Feb. 4-8 in Washington, DC. An excellent program of education, innovation and networking awaits you!
The information included on this page is specific to full conference registrants.
As a first-time attendee at the SLAS international conference and exhibition, SLAS is pleased to offer the following tips to help you plan for and get the most out of your conference experience.
Be sure to schedule your agenda in advance. The conference features 140 podium presentations, hundreds of posters, two days of Short Courses, 20-plus hours of open exhibition time, Special Interest Groups, career services, and countless opportunities for peer networking. Planning your SLAS2017 schedule in advance will simplify your on-site decision-making and ensure you see the sessions of greatest interest and relevance.
- To help you plan your schedule, access the SLAS2017 Event Scheduler, where you can review podium presentations, posters, exhibitors and even craft your personalized itinerary.
- Similarly, be sure to download the SLAS2017 Conference App to your preferred mobile device. Your itinerary — and comprehensive event information — will be at your fingertips.
Of special note, be sure to attend these sessions and activities:
- Opening General Session and Keynote: 8:30 am on Monday in Marriott Marquis Salon 1-6
Hear important updates on SLAS accomplishments and future plans, immediately prior to the opening keynote by Jennifer Lippincott Schwartz, Group Leader, Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Research Campus.
- Poster Presentations: Hundreds of scientific posters will be displayed throughout the exhibit floor. Poster presenters will be available from 1:00 – 3:00 pm Monday (odd number posters) and Tuesday (even numbered) to discuss their work. To view poster abstracts and schedule, visit the SLAS2017 Event Scheduler
- Special Interest Groups: SLAS offers more than a dozen Special Interest Groups where you can meet face-to-face with others in your area of interest and expertise. See a list of SIG and their meeting schedule for SLAS2017 here.
- Exhibitor Tutorials: Tutorials are technical sessions delivered by experts from companies exhibiting at SLAS2017. Presented in 45-, 75 and 120-minute sessions, Exhibitor Tutorials are a great way to complement your product knowledge with valuable education and best practices. To view a complete listing of tutorials and schedule, visit the SLAS2017 Event Scheduler.
- Late Night with LRIG: An annual tradition of this SLAS conference, Late Night is a rapid fire presentation of new and under development technology. Watch as product developers share their latest innovation in the hopes of getting feedback from an assembled audience of practicing life sciences researchers. Late Night with LRIG takes place Monday, Feb. 6, from 6:00 – 8:00 pm in Convention Center room 140AB. To view a complete listing of presenters and presentation schedule for this session, visit the SLAS2017 Event Scheduler.
- Play Passport to Prizes. Be sure to collect a Passport game card at SLAS2017 registration. Get your card stamped by all the exhibitors that appear on your card, turn your completed card into the Member Center, and you're eligible to win some great prizes. The prize drawing takes place on Wednesday, Feb. 8, at 11:45 am at the SLAS Member Center where winners must be present to claim their prize. Plan your schedule accordingly.
Lunch will be served in the SLAS2107 Exhibition on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. In addition, daily receptions will take place early evening on Monday and Tuesday, also in the exhibition.
Attend the Tuesday Night Celebration at The Newseum. A highlight of the peer networking program at SLAS2017 is the Evening Celebration at the Newseum on Tuesday, Feb. 7. All those 21 and older are welcome to attend this very special event. Free shuttle bus service will commence at 6:15 pm from the Marriott Marquis lobby (L Street entrance). Food, drink and open access to all exhibits at Newseum will be provided from 6:30 – 9:30 pm, with return shuttle bus service provided back to the Marriott.
The SLAS2017 Exhibition will be open select hours Monday - Wednesday and is located in Hall A of the Convention Center. In addition to perusing the 300+ exhibit booths, be sure to visit the SLAS Member Center in aisle 100. There, you can visit with members of SLAS's leadership and professional teams, interact with editorial staff members at the SLAS Journals Information Station and pick up your official commemorative SLAS2017 t-shirt.
For those looking for some exercise and a unique tour of some of DC's famous monuments, join in the SLAS FUNd Run. The FUNd Run is a non-competitive, non-timed 4.5 mile run (or walk) with fellow attendees that starts 6:30 am on Tuesday from the Marriott Marquis Lobby. Make a $25 donation to the SLAS Education Fund to earn a commemorative performance shirt. See details here For those looking for career services, take advantage of SLAS Career Connections. SLAS2017 offers a host of insightful and personalized career services for life sciences professional – and those aspiring to be. Hands on workshops, interview training, resume reviews, mentoring with an established professional are all offered at SLAS2017 for FREE. Advance sign-up is strongly encouraged for some programming. See details here.
Be sure to stay through the closing general session on Wednesday for a keynote by noted scientific author Rachel Swaby and the announcement of the 2017 SLAS Innovation Award Winner, recognizing the best podium presentation from the conference. This session runs from 3:45 – 5:00 pm and takes place in the Marriott Salon 1-6. Following the session, Rachel Swaby will participate in a book-signing.
Thank you, again, for registering to attend SLAS2017. In addition to the education and innovation on tap, we know that it is ultimately the human factor that differentiates this SLAS conference. Please make a point to connect with your fellow members. You'll see that SLAS is far more than a conference, but a year-round community of peers who help each other succeed. Safe travels!